Congress should enact legislation that supports residential property assessed clean energy (PACE) programs in the nation’s states and metropolitan areas. Along these lines, congressional support of residential PACE programs would:
- Send a strong signal that the U.S. remains fiercely committed to investing in smart, innovative financing structures that can catalyze the energy retrofit market
- Enable states and local governments—many of which suspended their residential PACE programs in the wake of the FHFA ruling—to design and implement such programs in their communities
- Save money for homeowners by reducing energy costs
- Create new jobs and career opportunities in both the energy efficiency and renewable energy industries
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and so produce significant climate benefits.